14 October 2014 03:43
Club president Silvio Berlusconi labelled former Milan striker Mario Balotelli a “rotten apple” on Monday.
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Berlusconi claimed he had advised against signing Balotelli in February 2013.
Balotelli joined Liverpool before the 2014-15 season and has failed to score in the Premier League for the Anfield-based outfit, while Berlusconi is convinced Milan coach Filippo Inzaghi will find it easier to rebuild the Serie A club without the Italy international.
“I remember that he [Balotelli] had been bought against my advice,” Berlusconi said.
Berlusconi reckons Milan are on their way back to becoming the kings of Europe, adding that players like Balotelli would have held the seven-time Champions League-winners back.
“With [Jeremy] Menez, [Keisuke] Honda, [Stephan] El Shaarawy, [Fernando] Torres, [Nigel] De Jong, [Giacomo] Bonaventura, Alex Zapata, [Andrea] Poli, [Mattia] De Sciglio, [Ignazio] Abate, [Sulley] Muntari and [Riccardo] Montolivo the base is already there, and there is no more rotten apple in the locker room,” the club president and former prime minister of Italy said.
Berlusconi also revealed that Carlo Ancelotti – who coached Milan from 2001-2009 – had been consulted when the club signed former Real goalkeeper Diego Lopez, plus Alex and Menez from Paris Saint-Germain in the most recent transfer window.
Lopez was Ancelotti’s number one goalkeeper for the majority of last season, while the Italian coach worked with Alex at Chelsea and PSG, and Menez at the French capital club.
“Carletto [Ancelotti] has been one of our advisors in the market,” Berlusconi said.
“[He is] close to me and [Milan CEO Adriano] Galliani, because he gave us his advice for Diego Lopez, Alex and Menez.”