Totti leaves camp for ankle treatment

8 August 2012 15:24

Francesco Totti will leave Roma’s Austrian pre-season training camp to return to Italy for further tests on an ankle injury.

The 35-year-old had complained of pain in his lower leg earlier this week but he insists the injury is not serious.

Coach Zdenek Zeman’s medical staff opted to take precautions by sending him to Professor Pierpaolo Mariani’s clinic in the Italian capital after his ankle became inflamed.

“I’m fine, but I will not be returning to Irdning (where Roma’s training camp is) as I will have another check on the injury in the coming days,” the veteran told Gazzetta dello Sport.

Totti has featured prominently in Zeman’s plans during pre-season, and will be fighting to return to full fitness in time for Roma’s Serie A opener against Catania on August 26.

Professor Mariani had previously nursed Totti back to fitness in the lead-up to the 2006 World Cup in Germany, which Italy won.

Rodgers reflects on losing Agger

8 August 2012 14:41

 

Liverpool coach Brendan Rodgers has refused to rule out defender Daniel Agger leaving before the transfer window closes.

Defending Premier League champions Manchester City are planning a 20 million pounds offer for the Danish international with the lure of wages of up to 100,000 pounds a week, while Barcelona are also interested.

Liverpool opens their Premier League campaign away to West Bromwich Albion on August 18. Premier League Football Odds are interesting this year.

Rodgers said he never wants to lose key personnel but concedes every player has their price and with regards to Agger, it is a case of waiting to see what unfolds between now and the end of the month.

“Daniel is a top player and you do not want to lose your best players,” he said.

“He has been here seven years. He loves the club and its supporters.

“But every player has his price and we will see where it goes.”

Another player being linked with a Liverpool exit is Andy Carroll, with Newcastle and West Ham strongly pursuing his signature.

Rodgers has been delighted with Carroll’s attitude shown by Carroll and understands his desire to play regular first-team football.

“Between now and the end of the window there are going to be players feeling a little bit unsure and insecure,” Rodgers said.

“There is a new manager and more players to come in, but Andy has been terrific.

“He knows exactly where he stands. He is like everyone else. He has to fight for their position.

There are not many clubs you could go to and be a guaranteed starter.

“I understand Andy wants to play games, but he really enjoys it here.

“I have had a number of conversations with him and we will see how that develops.”

Meanwhile, the former Swansea manager has revealed there was firm interest from other clubs in signing forward Luis Suarez.

However the 25-year-old penned a new improved long-term deal with the Anfield club earlier this week after returning from Olympic duty, ending speculation of a potential move.

Despite having four years remaining on his initial contract, Suarez has now tripled his wages to be one of the club’s top earners on around 100,000 pounds a week.

“There was genuine interest from other clubs,” Rodgers told Sky Sports.

“I had only just come through the door when a fax came through about him.

“It is brilliant that someone of that quality has agreed to stay with the club. It is great for the Premier League.

“It is a new beginning for him. There are very few world class strikers around. He is a very important signing for the club.

“He is still young and has his best years ahead of him.”

Jol targeting new signings

8 August 2012 13:20

Fulham manager Martin Jol has admitted he is looking to strengthen his midfield as well as his striking department.

The loan signing of Sascha Riether from German outfit Cologne and free agents Hugo Rodallega and Mladen Petric have meant the Cottagers have not spent any money on transfer fees during this transfer window.

“If everything stays as it is I am pretty satisfied, and we are still working to get two or three players in,” Jol told Sky Sports News.

“It depends on what happens. You’ve heard all the rumours about the big players, our good players, so hopefully they will stay. We want them to stay, that is important.

“You saw Danny Murphy go. I wanted him to stay but he went to Blackburn, they offered him a two-year deal.

“Then Dickson (Etuhu), he wanted to play games and was asking me for the last couple of months, so we had to let him go as well.

“We need at least a midfield player, in the midfield area.”

After losing four strikers since January, Jol says his side are lightweight in that area and will need to bolster their forward line.

“Up front, we lost four strikers – Orlando Sa went, Bobby Zamora, the Pog (Pavel Pogrebnyak), Andy Johnson went,” he said.

“We have got two, Rodallega and Petric, so at least we need one or two strikers as well.”

Downing looking for improvement

8 August 2012 13:01

Stewart Downing wants Liverpool to build on their Europa League victory over FC Gomel ahead of the return clash on Thursday.

The Reds went into the first leg just a few weeks into their pre-season preparations and the winger believes that his side will be improved after another full week of training.

“I think we were all a little bit rusty. It was my first 90 minutes and Johnno (Glen Johnson) came back in after playing all summer and Gomel are five or six weeks, if not longer, into their league season,” he told the Liverpool Echo.

“I can understand fans who want us to be fast out of the blocks but we had only been back 10 days so for me it was a good result, maybe not the best performance but with a week’s training behind us we’ll put a better performance in at Anfield tomorrow (Thursday) night.”

Downing notched the only goal of the game in Belarus, and after a goalless Premier League campaign last term, the former Middlesbrough man revealed Brendan Rodgers is looking to utilise him on the right wing in an attempt to create more goalscoring opportunities.

“I was really pleased with the goal. It was good timing as well because we were under pressure a little bit and it deflated them a little,” he said.

“All managers have their different ways of playing and this manager sees me as playing on the right a little bit more.

“He wants me playing higher up the field and getting in goal scoring positions because maybe I was a little bit deep last season. Hopefully that will happen and I will be in the position to score more goals.”

Despite many teams often viewing the Europa League unfavourably and choosing to play largely reserve squads in the competition, Downing insists that Liverpool are eyeing success in the competition this season.

“It’s certainly one we want to win,” he said.

“Earlier on you don’t know where you are going to be playing but the further on you get, when the Champions League teams drop in, then there are some good sides in the competition.

“The manager has stressed from day one that whatever competition we are in, we go to win it. So you can see his mentality, he wants to win every game, he is hungry and his players have got to be the same otherwise you don’t get picked.”

Moura confirms PSG talks

8 August 2012 12:33

Lucas Moura has admitted that he could leave Brazil Serie A club Sao Paulo for Paris Saint-Germain in the January transfer window.

The attacking midfielder is continually being linked with a move to Europe, with Manchester United and Inter both keen to lure the 19-year-old away from his current club.

Nevertheless, United and Inter have no intention to meet Sao Paulo’s hefty asking price for Lucas, thus allowing PSG to move into pole position in the race for the Brazil international’s signature.

“I talked to Thiago Silva and Leonardo, they said many good things about the club, the project they are implementing there. Talks are well under way, but not done yet,” Lucas told Globo Esporte.

“I will stay at Sao Paulo until the end of the year. I have always said that I want to win a title and qualify for the Copa Libertadores before leaving.

“If the transfer happens in January, I’ll be able to do that for Sao Paulo. For now, I’m focused on the national team, though. I can only say something after the Olympics.”

PSG currently have a maximum of four non-EU players in their squad, but they are hopeful that Milan Bisevac will receive dual nationality shortly, permitting them to add another player from outside the European Union to their squad either this summer or in January.