City want 25 million for Dzeko

6 August 2012 15:30

Manchester City want 25 million pounds for Edin Dzeko after rejecting a loan deal from AC Milan.

City have told the Italian club that they will not entertain any offer to take the Bosnian on a temporary basis with a view to a permanent switch next summer.

However, Roberto Mancini is willing to listen to offers for Dzeko as he looks to raise funds and create room in the squad for other players.

Milan wanted to take Dzeko on loan and pay his 170,000 pounds-a-week wages in full – but City rejected their approach, just as they did when the Italian giants made a similar bid for Carlos Tevez in January.

The Premier League champions are also well aware that Milan received 50m pounds following the double sale of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva to Paris Saint-Germain last month.

Dzeko, who cost 27m pounds and has three years remaining on his contract, has complained about a lack of first-team opportunities after finding himself out of the side for much of last season – but still managed to score 14 Premier League goals.

And he hinted at the possibility of a summer transfer at the weekend, speaking after City’s 2-0 friendly win over Wolfsburg.

“I always follow the Italian league and one day I would like to play in it. I also know that Milan has sold two of its best players,” Dzeko said.

“For now I am a City player, but to be sure I will stay here I will have to wait until the end of the month. I’ll see what happens, and if someone else comes in.”

However, Mancini insisted on Sunday that he does not expect Dzeko to leave City this summer.

“It’s pretty unlikely he will leave,” the Italian told reporters.

“He is right to say it’s no fun being on the bench but when you join a big club then competition is normal.”

Seedorf nets Botafogo opener

6 August 2012 14:48

Clarence Seedorf has scored his maiden goal for Botafogo since joining from AC Milan.

Seedorf scored the equaliser midway through the second half as the Rio de Janeiro club won their second consecutive league game against Atletico Goianiense.

The Dutchman completed his move to Brazil at the end of June and he found the net for the first time this weekend in his fourth appearance for the Fogao.

Seedorf’s unerringly accurate free kick, which had the goalkeeper rooted to the spot, levelled the game against the relegation candidates in the 65th minute, before Fellype Gabriel bagged a vital winner to take the game 2-1.

After the game, the four-time Champions League winner was delighted at opening his account for the Alvinegro, but insisted he took more pleasure from securing the three points.

“It was nice to see the fans today (in Goiana), but I feel at home in Brazil. The reaction to my first goal has been great,” Seedorf said to reporters.

“I am happier with the victory than the goal. The team was balanced. It was difficult, but we responded well.

“We pressed and quietened them down in the second half. We deserved the three points. We have more confidence now.”

Botafogo sit sixth in the table, three points adrift of a Copa Libertadores qualification spot after 14 games.

Mancini: RVP not coming to City

6 August 2012 14:33

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has admitted defeat in his attempts to sign Robin van Persie.

The Netherlands international announced last month that he would not sign a new contract at Arsenal, which had fuelled interest from Manchester United and Juventus, in addition to City.

However, a move to the Etihad now appears unlikely, with Mancini revealing his pessimism over a possible move.

“I don’t think RVP can come to City,” the Italian told Sky24.

Van Persie won last season’s Professional Footballers’ Assocation Player of the Year award as he scored 30 Premier League goals and led the Gunners to third place and Champions League qualification.

In his statement last month announcing his intention not to extend his contract, which expires next summer, the forward voiced his desire to move to a more ambitious club with the Gunners having last won a trophy in 2005.

However, his mood was believed to be vastly improved after the club moved close to signing Malaga’s Spain international attacker Santi Cazorla, and launched a move for Real Madrid playmaker Nuri Sahin, alongside the earlier additions of forwards Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski.

Alex is living PSG dream

6 August 2012 14:24

Alex is confident that Paris Saint-Germain can build ‘something special’.

But he insists their ambitions of becoming a top European outfit cannot be realised overnight.

The French giants only narrowly missed out on the Ligue 1 title in 2011-12, and while the former Chelsea defender believes there is still a long way to go, it is only a matter of time before the side will start adding silverware to their trophy cabinet.

“A team needs at least two seasons to gel properly and get into a position to challenge regularly for trophies. When I joined PSG, it was clear to me we would not start winning overnight,” Alex told UEFA’s Champions magazine.

“It’s understandable that the arrival of new owners and all the media coverage the team would get people overexcited, but the players always knew we are in the process of building a foundation.

“Qatar Sports Investment certainly haven’t come to PSG and committed so many resources not to win tournaments, though. But I have faith – we have a chance to build something special.”

Paris Saint-Germain open the Ligue 1 season at home against Lorient on August 10.

Afellay staying in Spain, says agent

6 August 2012 14:13

Rob Jansen, the agent of Ibrahim Afellay, said the Netherlands international has no intention of leaving Barcelona.

The winger has been linked with clubs such as Arsenal and Inter in the past few months, but he is happy with life in Spain and is keen to prove himself in Catalunya, according to Jansen.

“People should not take all these rumours about an imminent transfer too serious,” Jansen told Voetbal International.

“Leaving Barcelona is not an option at this point. Ibrahim is feeling very well at Barca and is getting playing time.

“It’s true that there’s plenty of interest, but that’s always been the case. There’s absolutely no reason for him to leave the club.

“Can we completely rule out a summer exit? You never know in football, but it’s highly unlikely that he will leave Barcelona.”

The 26-year-old joined Barcelona from PSV in January 2011, and has since made 20 La Liga appearances for the Catalans.

Afellay missed a large part of the 2011-12 campaign due to a knee injury, but made his comeback towards the end of last season.