New Hillsborough inquest planned

16 October 2012 15:41

Attorney General Dominic Grieve, QC, intends to apply for a fresh inquest into each of the 96 deaths at the 1989 Hillsborough disaster.

His decision follows the findings of the Hillsborough Independent Panel, which concluded in September that Liverpool fans were not responsible in any way for the tragedy and indicated a shocking cover-up of the facts.

“I am persuaded that an application to the court for fresh inquests must be made,” Grieve said.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission have already indicated that it will instigate an independent investigation into wrongdoing on the part of the police.

“Were there to be criminal proceedings, that could impact on when inquests take place,” the Attorney General added.

Dates for the new inquest are yet to be set.

Torres reveals motivation issues

16 October 2012 15:07

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres has admitted he lost interest in football while struggling with form last season.

The Spaniard has found goals hard to come by since his 50-million-pound transfer from Liverpool and was often left out of the starting line-up last term as Didier Drogba excelled.

“Last season there was a moment when I lost the values I learnt when I was a child,” Torres told El Pais.

“I had many team-mates who didn’t care about winning or losing if they didn’t play. I didn’t want to be like them but there was a moment when I realised that I didn’t care either.

“I also realised I was not happy, as I was not the person I wanted to be.

“I sacrificed myself for the team, as it was the only way to play.”

Things are now looking up for the 28-year-old, with Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo installing Torres as his first-choice striker.

Torres says he is enjoying working under Di Matteo, who replaced Andre Villas-Boas last season.

“The change of coach has made me a better player,” Torres said.

“I can control now some issues I didn’t control in the past.”

Malik eager for Flores battle

16 October 2012 14:16

Adelaide United midfielder Osama Malik is looking forward to facing former team-mate Marcos Flores in Friday’s clash with Melbourne Victory.

Flores joined Victory as their international marquee player in July, ruling out a return to Hindmarsh Stadium.

The Argentinean played one season at Adelaide in 2010-11, winning the Johnny Warren Medal as the A-League’s best player before moving to Chinese side Henan Jianye.

He was lured back to Australia by Victory and will come up against his old club for the first time in the A-League at Etihad Stadium.

Malik, who will play a large part in trying to negate the attacking midfielder, said there was no bad blood between the players.

“It happens in football, people move on,” Malik said.

“He’s a great player and I was lucky enough to train and play alongside him a bit when he was here. It will be a tough job but it’s one I’m looking forward to.”

While Adelaide remain the only team with a perfect record after two rounds, Victory are languishing at the bottom of the ladder on the back of opening losses to rivals Melbourne Heart and champions Brisbane Roar.

“Obviously they will be very disappointed,” Malik said.

“They’re a proud club and will be out to prove a point this week but hopefully if we can play our own game we can do well and consolidate the good start we’ve had.

“They’re a new team. Ange (Postecoglou) has got them playing a different way and I’m sure they’ll work on some things during the week and improve.

“Any derby between Adelaide and Melbourne is a good game and it’s going to be tough, so there is never really a good time to face them but if we go about our business I think we can do well.”

Adelaide playmaker Dario Vidosic will come into contention after missing last week’s win over Western Sydney Wanderers with a hamstring complaint, while defender Nigel Boogaard needs to prove his fitness after rolling his ankle at training on Monday.

Mata focus fixed on Spain return

16 October 2012 13:52

Chelsea playmaker Juan Mata says he will work harder than ever to earn a recall into the Spain squad.

Mata has been in ominous form at club level so far this season, helping his side to a four-point lead at the top of the Premier League table.

But the competition for places in the national set up is such that Spain coach Vicente del Bosque overlooked the 24-year-old for World Cup qualifiers this month.

“What Del Bosque said is a reality,” Mata told French radio station RMC. “There are many very good players and competition is hard. I have to work to come back, it’s up to me.”

Spain did not feel Mata’s absence on Friday as they cruised to a 4-0 win against Belarus.

The world and European champions face France in Tuesday’s World Cup qualifier with the likes of David Silva, Andres Iniesta and Santi Cazorla ahead of Mata in the pecking order.

Aside from the snub, Mata is happy with how his season has panned out thus far.

“I’d like to be with the (Spanish national) team but I’m OK because I’m very happy with everything that is happening to me at the moment,” he said.

“Things are going well for me at Chelsea.”

Buffon out of Denmark clash

16 October 2012 13:02

Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has been ruled out of Tuesday’s 2014 World Cup qualifier against Denmark due to injury.

The Juventus shot-stopper featured for the full 90 minutes in Friday’s 3-1 away win over Armenia, but a thigh problem had kept him off the training pitch since.

Buffon was initially hopeful that he would shake off the knock in time to take part in the game versus Denmark, but the Italy team doctors have now made the decision that he’s not fit enough for the match at the Giuseppe Meazza.

The 34-year-old’s absence means that Napoli keeper Morgan De Sanctis will get the chance to prove his worth between the sticks.

Italy currently sit atop of the table in Group B with seven points from three games, while Denmark are fifth with two points from as many matches.