17 September 2012 04:50
Fernando Llorente remains upset with fans’ comments regarding his potential exit from Athletic Bilbao.
The Spain Euro 2012 winner has dealt with months of speculation over his future but believes no-one should begrudge him a move to another club after everything he has given to the club.
Llorente has been at Bilbao since 2005 and has made over 200 appearances for the club. He was a revelation last year in a new system under coach Marcelo Bielsa, netting 30 goals in all competitions.
His latest goal came upon his return to the Bilbao side in a 3-3 draw against Espanyol on Sunday.
“It hurts that people have turned against me. It hurts that they doubt me, I’ve always given everything for Athletic”, Llorente told radio station Cadena SER.
“Even if at some point in my career I don’t play with Athletic, it will always be my team. It’s personal. The club have given me everything, it’s where I grew up from the time I was a boy.
“If for whatever reason I leave here, nobody should be annoyed with me. It’s a personal decision that people should respect”.
On the subject of his future, the Spaniard admitted he would assess things in the near future.
“In January I’m free to talk, but I want to forget about that and help the team. The less people talk about me the better,” he said.