Marrone seeks revenge against Napoli

6 August 2012 09:36

Luca Marrone has stressed that Juventus are raring to go ahead of the Supercoppa Italiana against Napoli on August 11.

The Old Lady missed out on a domestic double last season, as Napoli proved to be too strong in the Coppa Italia final, and the Turin giants will be gunning for revenge on Saturday, according to the youngster.

“The season’s only just starting but we feel good, our legs are starting to tick over nicely and in a week’s time we’ll be in top shape. We’re fired up for this game with Napoli,” Marrone said.

“The Super Cup is the first piece of silverware up for grabs and we’re determined to avenge our defeat in the Coppa Italia final. We can’t wait to get out there and play it.”

Marrone featured in defence earlier this pre-season, and the 22-year-old – a midfielder by trade – has made it clear that he is happy to help out wherever he is needed.

“The boss told me a few days ago that he wanted to try me out in defence,” he said.

“We already discussed it last year before the game in Genoa, but then Vidal came in and did a great job. I’m ready to do my bit for the team wherever the coach wants me to play.”

Ronaldo hints at MLS move

6 August 2012 07:47

Real Madrid winger Cristiano Ronaldo admits that he can see a future for himself in MLS, and claims the league is already of a high standard.

The former world player of the year, who is currently on a pre-season tour of the United States with the defending La Liga champions, would follow in the footsteps of established stars such as David Beckham and Thierry Henry should a trans-Atlantic switch ever occur.

“If I can help to improve soccer here I can help – but I think they are great, they are in a good way,” he told the league’s official website.

“I hope to come here to play one day.”

The 27-year-old is currently the world’s most expensive player, having completed an 80-million-pound transfer from Manchester United to Real Madrid back in 2009.

Jets sign Brazilian Ribeiro

6 August 2012 07:34

Newcastle Jets have announced the signing of Brazilian midfielder Bernardo Ribeiro.

Ribeiro, who counts Flamengo, Italian side Catania and Skenderbeu Korce of Albania as his former clubs, will arrive in Australia later this week before joining the Jets squad.

Newcastle manager Gary van Egmond was delighted to have signed the 22-year-old attacking midfielder.

“His junior football was at Flamengo and he’s obviously been really well schooled over there,” van Egmond said.

“He was at Catania for six months and it was only because of a couple of issues with his permit that he wasn’t able to play much there.

“He’ll get a good part of the pre-season with us which is excellent for him to have a chance to see how we do things and for us to see how we can best utilise him.

“All our discussions with Bernardo have been very positive and he is an ambitious player who is coming here with exactly the right mentality.”

Van Egmond sees Ribeiro fitting into Newcastle’s impressive squad ‘in the middle of the park or in a wide area’ and is excited about the potential impact Ribeiro could have on the A-League.

The Rio de Janeiro-born player holds an Italian passport and made 12 appearances for Skenderbeu Force in all competitions last season, scoring twice.

MLS wrap: Sounders thump Galaxy, Portland snatch draw

6 August 2012 07:17

The Seattle Sounders put together a dominant home performance to beat LA Galaxy 4-0 in front of 60,000 fans at CenturyLink Field.

The Sounders hit the lead after just six minutes through US International striker Eddie Johnson, who grabbed his 10th goal of the season, getting his head on the end of a Mauro Rosales cross and steering the ball expertly into the far corner.

The Galaxy where able to carve out several chances after going behind but couldn’t convert any and went into half-time 1-0 down.

The Sounders punished the Galaxy for their poor finishing after the break with Fredy Montero volleying home his fifth goal of the season to double the home side’s advantage in the 51st minute.

From there the Sounders didn’t look back, with Alex Caskey catching Josh Saunders way off his line and firing home from 35 yards.

Australian-born Englishman Andy Rose completed the rout with his first MLS goal in the 88th minute.

The win sees the Sounders cement third place in the Western Conference and moves their unbeaten streak to six games.

The Galaxy still sit fifth in the West and will have to bounce for their US Open Cup final against Sporting Kansas City on Thursday.

In Sunday’s other game, the Portland Timbers rallied to snatch a 1-1 draw at home against 10-man FC Dallas.

Scott Sealy opened the scoring early in the second half, before a late Jack Jewsbury volley ensured the West’s bottom two teams would share the points.

FC Dallas got in front five minutes into the second half when Brek Shea found some space behind the Timbers defence and squared to a completely unmarked Sealy, who had a simple tap-in.

Just a couple minutes later, Dallas defender Zach Loyd made his team’s job tougher, picking up a second yellow for a tug on Franck Songo’o.

Following a sustained spell of pressure, the Timbers made their advantage pay off in the 79th minute. Jewsbury latched onto a high clearing punch from Kevin Hartman and caught all of a left-footed volley, powering a strike past the Dallas goalkeeper.

Garcia intent on keeping Debuchy

6 August 2012 04:40

Rudi Garcia says Mathieu Debuchy must accept Lille’s decision not to sell him despite ongoing interest from Newcastle United.

The France international has been heavily linked with a transfer to the Premier League club but Lille have been immovable in their decision to retain his services.

Newcastle had a fresh approach for the right-back rejected by the French club last week and now his coach has declared that there is nothing the player can do.

“He doesn’t really have the choice. The club has made a decision and he has to deal with it,” Garcia told French publication Nord Eclair.

“He also knows he has to be good in the game for his future in the French team. I have no worries about him.”

The Magpies have been desperate to bolster their squad ahead of their Europa League campaign but have so far also failed in attempts to sign Andy Carroll and Twente’s Douglas.