Ferguson adds late Berbatov twist

31 August 2012 11:44

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson claims Dimitar Berbatov is not a certainty to join Fulham.

The 31-year-old striker fell down the pecking order at Old Trafford last term and his exit seemed inevitable after the club signed Robin van Persie in the close season.

It was widely assumed that a deal to reunite with former boss Martin Jol at Fulham was all but completed, but Ferguson believes there could be a final twist in the tale.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s at Tottenham,” said Ferguson.

“I don’t think he’s certain to go to Fulham, put it that way. I said last year he’d be leaving the end of the season.

“I don’t know what’s happened. He’s not gone yet. I don’t know anything about it. There’s not been any contact whatsoever from him.

“According to Fiorentina he was supposed to be on a plane, and we thought that too. We thought he was in Italy.

“It’s turned out he’s not in Italy. He could be anywhere to be honest. I have no idea where he is.”

The club’s chief executive David Gill appeared to rule out any further major departures from the club, aside from Berbatov, contradicting Ferguson, by naming Fulham as his destination.

“There’s certainly no acquisitions, as Sir Alex well communicated,” Gill told Sky Sports at the UEFA Champions League draw in Monaco on Thursday.

“Not confirmed yet but Dimitar (Berbatov) is likely to go to Fulham and there’s probably going to be one or two more loans out but we’re not working on anything specific at the moment.

“We’ve bought five players in this window and we’re very happy with what we’ve acquired and we look forward to a very long but exciting season ahead.”

Any move would bring an end to a five-year spell at the club for Berbatov, during which he’s helped the side win the Premier League on two occasions.